1. YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YAHOO
- Welcome to Yahoo. Yahoo provides the Yahoo Services (described below) to you under these Terms of Service (“Terms”). In these Terms “you” means the individual using the Yahoo Services. “Yahoo” means Yahoo! EMEA Limited (a company incorporated in Ireland).
- When you use the Yahoo Services, you can access services provided by other Yahoo group companies and companies outside the Yahoo group. Yahoo is not responsible for services it does not provide. The terms of service governing a service should always explain who provides the service. You should always look at the terms of service that apply to each service you use especially when you register for a service. The Yahoo terms can usually be found via a link at the bottom of each page of the Yahoo Services.
2. ACCEPTING THE TERMS
- By using the Yahoo Services, you agree to follow these Terms. These Terms also include the following guidelines and terms:
- Online guidelines
- Additional Terms of Service. See the full list of the Additional Terms of Service that apply to specific Yahoo Services.
- If any of these documents contradict each other, the terms will apply in this order: Additional Terms of Service, Terms, online guidelines
- You may not use the Yahoo Services and may not accept the Terms if you are a person barred from receiving the Yahoo Services under the laws of Ireland or other applicable laws.
- These Terms form a legally binding agreement between you and Yahoo in relation to your use of the Yahoo Services. It is important that you take the time to read them carefully. You can always access the current version of the Terms here.
3. THE YAHOO SERVICES
- Yahoo provides to you a rich collection of online resources, including, various communication, search and information tools, community forums and social networking services, content, media and entertainment services through its network of properties which may be accessed through various media or devices now known or developed afterwards (the “Yahoo Services”).
- The Yahoo Services may include important communications from Yahoo, such as service announcements and administrative messages. These communications are considered part of the Yahoo membership and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.
4. REGISTRATION & ACCOUNT SECURITY
- You agree to provide accurate and complete information about yourself when required by the Yahoo Services’ registration form (the “Registration Data”) and ensure your Registration Data is kept up to date.
- Yahoo will issue you with a password and a Yahoo ID when you complete the Yahoo Services’ registration process. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and security of your account. Accordingly, you are solely responsible for all activities that occur under your account. You will:
- immediately notify Yahoo of any unauthorised use of your account and any other breach of security; and
- ensure that you sign out from your account at the end of each session.
5. ADVICE FOR CHILDREN
- Yahoo is concerned about the safety and privacy of all its users, particularly children. For this reason, parents who wish to allow their children access to the Yahoo Services should assist them in setting up accounts, supervise their access to the Yahoo Services and determine as legal guardians whether any of the Yahoo Services and its content are appropriate for them. By allowing their child access to the Yahoo Services, parents acknowledge and accept that they will be able to access all of the Yahoo Services including email, communities and social networking services.
- In any case, it is our policy not to allow children who are registered with Yahoo as under 13 years of age to use social networking services provided by Yahoo.
6. PRIVACY & DATA DISCLOSURE
- Yahoo may access, preserve, and disclose your information and User Content:
- to its affiliated companies worldwide for the purpose of providing the Yahoo Services to you in an efficient manner;
- for the purpose of properly administering your account in accordance with the standard operating procedures of Yahoo or its affiliated companies; and
- if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such access, preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (i) comply with legal process; (ii) enforce the Terms; (iii) respond to claims that any User Content violates the rights of third-parties; (iv) respond to your requests for customer service; or (v) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Yahoo, its users and the public.
7. USER CONTENT AND CONDUCT
- You are solely responsible for all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags and other materials that you submit to the Yahoo Services (“User Content”). You agree not to do anything on, or submit any User Content to, the Yahoo Services that:
- infringes any laws (for example, defamation law) or regulations or the rights of another (for example, the laws of copyright or privacy) or encourages others to do so;
- is obscene, threatening, violent, abusive, harmful to others including minors, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, harassing, discriminatory or otherwise objectionable;
- impersonates another or misrepresents the origin or attributes (including age) of a user or User Content;
- is “spam” or any other form of unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or commercial messages except in areas where this is expressly allowed (please read our complete Spam Policy)
- contains or links to computer viruses, malware or any other malicious code;
- disrupts or impairs the normal operation of the Yahoo Services, or servers or networks connected to the Yahoo Services;
- collects User Content or user information, or otherwise accesses the Yahoo Services using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our permission; or
- reproduces, trades in or otherwise exploits for any commercial purposes, any part of the Yahoo Services (including User Content, advertisements, Software and your Yahoo ID).
- Yahoo has no obligation to monitor User Content. Yahoo may reject, recategorise or delete any User Content that is available via the Yahoo Services that violates the Terms or is otherwise objectionable. You must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any User Content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any User Content.
- The Yahoo Services and software embodied within the Yahoo Services may include security components that permit digital materials to be protected. Use of these materials is subject to usage rules set by Yahoo or content providers who provide content to the Yahoo Services. You may not attempt to override or circumvent any of the usage rules embedded into the Yahoo Services. Any unauthorised reproduction, publication, further distribution or public exhibition of any of the materials provided on the Yahoo Services, is strictly prohibited.
8. SPECIAL ADMONITIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL USE AND EXPORT AND IMPORT COMPLIANCE
Recognising the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all applicable laws and rules regarding online conduct and acceptable User Content. Use of the Services and transfer, posting and uploading of software, technology, and other technical data via the Services may be subject to the export and import laws of the United States. You agree to comply with all applicable export and import laws and regulations, including without limitation the Export Administration Regulations (see http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/ear_data.html and sanctions control programs of the United States (seehttp://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx. In particular, you represent and warrant that you: (a) are not a prohibited party identified on any government export exclusion list (seehttp://www.bis.doc.gov/complianceandenforcement/liststocheck.htmor a member of a government of any other export-prohibited countries as identified in applicable export and import laws and regulations; (b) will not transfer software, technology, and other technical data via the Services to export-prohibited parties or countries; (c) will not use the Services for military, nuclear, missile, chemical or biological weaponry end uses in violation of U.S. export laws or any other applicable laws; and (d) will not transfer, upload, or post via the Services any software, technology or other technical data in violation of U.S. or other applicable export or import laws.
9. LICENCE FROM YOU TO YAHOO
- You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in User Content that you submit, or make available through, the Yahoo Services. When you submit or make available User Content on publicly accessible areas (described below) of the Yahoo Services, you give to Yahoo the following licence(s):
- For photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available on publicly accessible areas of the Yahoo Services, you give to Yahoo the worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to use, distribute, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, publicly perform and publicly display the User Content on the Yahoo Services:
- for the purposes for which that User Content was submitted; and
- for the purpose of promoting the Yahoo property to which the User Content was submitted or the Yahoo Services anywhere on the Yahoo network or in connection with any distribution or syndication arrangement with other organisations or individuals or their sites.
- This licence exists only for as long as you continue to include the User Content on the Yahoo Services and will end at the time you remove, or Yahoo removes, the User Content from the Yahoo Services.
- For all other User Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Yahoo Services, the worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub-licensable licence to use, distribute, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, publicly perform and publicly display the User Content anywhere on the Yahoo network or in connection with any distribution or syndication arrangement with other organisations or individuals or their sites in any format or medium now known or later developed. Your User Content and any associated public user profile on the Yahoo Services may appear on local Yahoo sites in other countries.
- “Publicly accessible” areas of the Yahoo Services are those areas of the Yahoo Services that are intended by Yahoo to be available to the general public. By way of example, publicly accessible areas of the Yahoo Services would include Yahoo Answers and public sections of Groups and flickr. However, publicly accessible areas of the Yahoo Services would not include sections of flickr that are private or limited to friends and/or family only and Yahoo services intended for private communication such as Yahoo Mail.
- You are solely responsible for any personal data or information that you choose to disclose and make publicly accessible via the Yahoo Services. Yahoo is not responsible for the disclosure and public accessibility of such personal data or information. Any personal data or information (or any other User Content) posted to publicly accessible areas may remain publicly accessible indefinitely.
10. CONTRIBUTIONS TO YAHOO
- When you submit ideas, suggestions, documents, and/or proposals (“Contributions”) to Yahoo through its suggestion or feedback webpages, you agree that:
- your Contributions do not contain confidential or proprietary information;
- Yahoo is not under any obligation of confidentiality, express or implied, with respect to the Contributions;
- Yahoo will be entitled to use or disclose (or choose not to use or disclose) such Contributions for any purpose, in any way, in any media worldwide;
- Yahoo may have something similar to the Contributions already under consideration or in development;
- Except where expressly prohibited by applicable laws, your Contributions automatically become the property of Yahoo without any obligation of Yahoo to you and you waive all moral rights; and
- you are not entitled to any compensation or reimbursement of any kind from Yahoo under any circumstances.
- To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to indemnify and hold Yahoo and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, licensors, co-branders and other partners, and employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable legal fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of User Content you submit or otherwise make available through the Yahoo Services, your use of, or connection to, the Yahoo Services, your violation of the Terms, or your violation of any rights of another.
12. GENERAL PRACTICES
- Yahoo may establish general practices and limits concerning use of the Yahoo Services, including the maximum number of days that communication messages or other User Content will be retained, the maximum size and number of User Content or communication messages that may be submitted or received by an account, the maximum storage space that will be allotted to an account, and the maximum number of times (and the maximum duration for which) you may access the Yahoo Services in a given period of time.
- Yahoo may change these general practices and limits by giving you reasonable notice before the changes take place, in accordance with section 21 below.
13. CHANGES TO THE YAHOO SERVICES
- Yahoo is constantly innovating in order to provide the best possible experience for its users. Accordingly, Yahoo may change, interrupt, suspend or cancel any of the Yahoo Services temporarily or permanently. We may not tell you beforehand about changes or interruptions that do not materially disadvantage our users or do not materially limit the usage of our services, for example, the addition of functionalities and features or a change to the registration process.
- In accordance with section 21, we will tell you a reasonable amount of time in advance of any changes or cancellations of Yahoo Services that will materially disadvantage our users or materially limit the usage of Yahoo Services. This will allow you sufficient time to save any User Content that you may have in that service.
- For changes we need to make to meet security, legal and regulatory requirements, we may not be able to meet the timescale above. We will let you know about these changes as soon as we can.
- When a Service requires or includes downloadable software, this software may update automatically on your device once a new version or feature is available. Some Services may let you adjust your automatic update settings.
14. CANCELLING YOUR ACCOUNT / EMAIL ADDRESS
- You may, at any time, cancel your Yahoo account, any associated email address and access to the Yahoo Services by visiting our Account Deletion page. For more information, please see the relevant Help Pagesfor more information on this topic.
- Yahoo may, without telling you, immediately cancel or limit your access to your Yahoo accounts, certain Yahoo Services and any associated email addresses for the following reasons, including:
- if you violate the Terms, including incorporated agreements or guidelines;
- requests by law enforcement or other government agencies under valid legal process;
- unexpected technical or security issues or problems; or
- extended periods of inactivity in accordance with our account deletion policy.
- Yahoo will make these decisions in Yahoo’s sole discretion. Yahoo will not be responsible for any loss you may suffer through the cancellation of your account, any associated email address, or access to the Yahoo Services.
- Cancellation of your Yahoo account may include the following:
- removal of access to any of the offerings within the Yahoo Services; and
- deletion of your information and User Content associated with or inside your account
Yahoo may sell, license and/or display any advertising, attribution, links, promotional and/or distribution rights in connection with your User Content. Yahoo is entitled to retain all revenue generated from any sales or licences of such advertising, attribution, links, or promotional or distribution rights.
Your dealings with advertisers found on or through the Yahoo Services, including participation in promotions or payment and delivery of goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, guarantees or representations associated with these dealings, are solely between you and the advertiser. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree that Yahoo will not be responsible for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as the result of these dealings or as the result of the presence of advertisers on the Yahoo Service.
16. EXTERNAL LINKS AND CONTENT
- The Yahoo Services may include content, applications and services from or links to external websites or resources (“External Content”). All External Content is the responsibility of the external provider and provided by them subject to their own terms. Yahoo has no control over and does not endorse any External Content and Yahoo is not responsible for the availability, accuracy or reliability of such External Content, or for any loss suffered by you based on reliance on the External Content. Any dispute you have regarding External Content on the Yahoo Services should be taken up with the external provider directly.
17. YAHOO’S PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
- The Yahoo Services, which includes any necessary software used in connection with the Yahoo Services (“Software”), contain proprietary and confidential information that is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws. Content contained in advertisements or information presented to you through the Yahoo Services may be protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents or other proprietary rights and laws. Except as expressly permitted by applicable law or authorised by Yahoo or the applicable licensor (such as an advertiser), you will not use, distribute, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, rent, sell, publicly perform or publicly display the Yahoo Services, any User Content or Software.
- Yahoo gives to you a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive licence to use the object code of its Software on a single computer. However, you must not (and must not allow any other person to) copy, adapt, create a derivative work from, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code, sell, assign, sublicense, grant a security interest in or otherwise transfer any right in the Software. This will not apply where you are expressly permitted to do so by law or the relevant licensor.
- You must not access the Yahoo Service by any means other than through the interface that is provided by Yahoo for use in accessing the Yahoo Services, unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Yahoo in writing.
18. EXCLUSION OF WARRANTIES
- The Yahoo Services and Software are provided “as is” and Yahoo, its subsidiaries, affiliates and licensors cannot give you any guarantees with respect to them. In particular, Yahoo, its subsidiaries, affiliates and licensors cannot represent or guarantee that:
- your use of the Yahoo Services and Software will meet your requirements;
- your use of the Yahoo Services and Software will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or free from error;
- any information obtained by you as a result of your use of the Yahoo Services or Software will be accurate or reliable; and
- defects in the operation or functionality of any Software provided to you as part of the Yahoo Services will be corrected.
- No conditions or other terms (including any implied terms as to merchantability/satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose, provision of services to a standard of reasonable care and skill, non-infringement of intellectual property rights or conformance with description) apply to the Yahoo Services or Software.
- Nothing in the Terms affect your legal rights which you are always entitled to as a consumer and that you cannot contractually agree to alter or waive.
19. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- Unless the Terms say otherwise, Yahoo, its subsidiaries, affiliates and licensors, have no responsibility to you or to pay you compensation for financial loss or loss of opportunity, goodwill, reputation, business, revenue, profit, or savings you expected to make, or wasted expenditure:
- for any information or User Content which is lost, corrupted or mis-delivered;
- for any damage to your computer system, internet access, download or display device or loss of data that results from the download of any material;
- for any changes that Yahoo may make to the Yahoo Services or Software;
- for the unavailability of any of the Yahoo Services or Software;
- for any loss that could not have been reasonably expected because you have used the Yahoo Services or Software for business; or
- for any loss you may suffer if you violate the Terms in any way, including your failure to give Yahoo accurate and current Registration Data, or your failure to keep your password or account details secure and confidential.
- These limitations will apply whether or not Yahoo has been advised of or should have been aware of the possibility of any losses arising.
- We accept responsibility if you are injured or die as a direct result of our negligence. We will not limit this responsibility. Some countries’ laws do not allow certain guarantees or liabilities to be excluded by a contract. Accordingly, some of the above exclusions or limitations may not apply to you.
20. DISCLAIMER RELATING TO FINANCIAL, HEALTH AND LEGAL INFORMATION
- Information obtained through the Yahoo Services is for informational purposes only and should never be used as a substitute for advice from a qualified professional. Some of the information on the Yahoo Services may only be relevant to certain countries. The opinions expressed through information and User Content on the Yahoo Services are the opinions of the individual author and do not reflect the opinions of Yahoo
- If you use the Yahoo Services for financial information including about companies, share quotes, investments or securities, please read the above Sections 18 – 19 again. Information obtained through the Yahoo Services should never be used as a substitute for professional financial advice. No content or User Content from the Yahoo Services is intended for trading or investing purposes. Yahoo, its subsidiaries, affiliates and licensors are not responsible for any financial, trading or investment decisions based on such information.
- Information obtained through the Yahoo Services should never be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment.
- Information obtained through the Yahoo Services should never be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a suitably qualified lawyer authorised to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction before taking any course of action that may affect your legal rights.
- You may communicate with Yahoo via the contact details provided here.
- Yahoo may give you notices (such as those regarding changes to the Terms) by various methods, including email, regular mail, text message, online notices on the Yahoo Services, or other reasonable means. Notifications about Yahoo Services for which no registration is required are generally announced via an online notice on the Yahoo Service.
- If you violate these Terms by accessing the Yahoo Services in an unauthorised manner, you may not receive notices. You agree that you are deemed to have received all notices that would have been delivered had you accessed the Yahoo Services in an authorised manner.
22. TRADEMARK INFORMATION
Yahoo’s trademarks, trade names, service marks, and other Yahoo logos, brand features, and product and service names are trademarks and the property of Yahoo! Inc. (the “Yahoo Marks”). You agree not to use in any manner, the Yahoo Marks without Yahoo’s prior written permission
23. TERMS & COPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS
- Please report any violations of the Terms to Customer Care. For more information, please see Yahoo Help Centre
- Yahoo respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. If you believe that any of your intellectual property rights have been infringed on the Yahoo Services, please go to ourcopyright policy to report the problem.
24. CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
- Yahoo may update these Terms in the future for various reasons, including, to accommodate changes in the law or changes to the Yahoo Services. We will give you reasonable advance notice of any material changes before we apply them. Notifications will be made in accordance with section 21 above.
- If you do not agree to the changes in the Terms, you should stop using the Yahoo Services and Software. You will find the current version of the Terms here.
25. GENERAL INFORMATION
- Entire Agreement. These Terms (including applicable online guidelines referred to above) make up the entire agreement between you and Yahoo and govern your use of the Yahoo Services, overriding any previous version of these Terms between you and Yahoo about the Yahoo Services. You may be subject to additional terms and conditions that may apply when you use or purchase some Yahoo Services, affiliate services, or content or software from other organisations or persons.
- Language. Where these Terms have been translated and provided in a language other than English, the provisions of the English-language version here shall prevail and govern in the event of any conflict or inconsistency in interpretation.
- Choice of Law and Forum. Our relationship, these Terms and any non-contractual obligations in relation to them will be governed by the laws of Ireland. The courts of Ireland have jurisdiction to settle any dispute in relation to these Terms or any non-contractual obligations in relation to them.
- Neither of us will be considered to have waived any right under these Terms because of failure or delay in exercising that right. If any provision of the Terms is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the other provisions of the Terms will remain in full force and effect.
- Neither Yahoo nor you may transfer any of these Terms except that Yahoo may transfer any of the Terms to a company that is a subsidiary or holding company of Yahoo, or a subsidiary of that holding company. We will give you reasonable notice before this occurs. Notifications will be made in accordance with section 21 above.
- If Yahoo or you cannot do what has been promised in these Terms because of something beyond our reasonable control, neither Yahoo nor you will be responsible for this. If the events continue for more than three months, Yahoo or you can cancel these Terms immediately by giving written notice.
- The section titles in these Terms are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
- The words “include” or “including” in these Terms mean without limitation to the words following.
- Unless the Terms say otherwise, there will be no third-party beneficiaries to this agreement.
- No Right of Survivorship and Non-Transferability. Your Yahoo account is non-transferable and any rights to your Yahoo ID or contents within your account will be cancelled upon your death. If we receive a copy of a death certificate, the relevant account may be cancelled and all its contents permanently deleted.
Terms dated 20th January 2014.